Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | News | Local News | Contact Us | Home RSS

Heater malfunction prompts evacuation of Conference Center

February 28, 2013

LAKE PLACID - A heating unit on the Conference Center at Lake Placid's roof malfunctioned this morning, prompting a brief evacuation of the Main Street building.

The Lake Placid Volunteer Fire Department was called to the Conference Center, which is operated by the state Olympic Regional Development Authority, following reports of fumes at the Regional Office of Sustainable Tourism and Lake Placid Convention and Visitors Bureau.

ORDA spokesman Jon Lundin told the News that firefighters traced the source of the fumes to a heating unit on the Main Street side of the Conference Center's roof.

Article Photos

Firefighters on the scene at the Conference Center in Lake Placid this afternoon. Traffic was diverted from Main Street.

Photo/Richard Rosentreter/Lake Placid News

"We've shut that down," he said. "Employees are back in the building."

Lundin said firefighters used fans to blow the fumes out of the building.

Traffic was diverted away from the Conference Center during the incident. Lundin said ORDA plans to repair the heater.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web